You can order the ENTIRE Starrcast weekend package through FITE TV.
Starrcast Presents: An Evening with Cody & The Bucks
May 23, 2019
Sean Mooney and Justin Roberts introduce us to our host this evening, the rookie member of the AEW commentary team, Alex Marvez! After talking about The Elite restoring his interest in pro wrestling he attempted to introduce tonight’s guests, but Fat Ass Masa came out instead and posed on the stage. Eventually Cody and the Young Bucks made their way out – we’re ready to go!
— Nick Jackson says Double or Nothing hasn’t “set in” for any of them yet. He thanks the fans for their support and believes they’ve found something special. Matt thought they were still “just a t-shirt company” until they showed up at the MGM Grand earlier in the day.
— Cody said there were already talks of putting something together before he ever took the infamous “bet” with Dave Meltzer on Twitter. He calls it the “exclamation point on a very long piece of history”, and believes they are “destined” to build this empire.
— Cody talked about his first conversation with Conrad Thompson about wanting to piggyback off the first ALL IN event because somebody was going to do it, and he wanted to do it without running any competing wrestling matches. The idea was Starrcast would be a home for the podcasts and the legends of the business, while what became AEW would be all about the next generation.
— QUESTION: How did you meet Tony Khan and how did he gain your trust?
- Matt said they work in a carny business and are used to B.S., but he looked up Tony and saw his family owned the Jacksonville Jaguars, and thought maybe they should pick up the phone. He said at the time he was in negotiations with another wrestling company (Nick joked that it was TNA, which got a good laugh). They finally spent an evening with him, and they realized he might be the biggest wrestling fan of all time.
- Nick admitted that he straight-up didn’t think Tony was for real at first and told his brother to stop wasting his time.
- Cody said starting a wrestling company costs a lot of money and is a tumultuous process. He told the story about Tony inviting him to a Jaguars game, and the photo getting out online, which the Bucks were furious about (we actually leaked that story – sorry Bucks!). He also talked about liking Tony and how he’s had different experiences with executives, including WWE’s George Barrios who “acts like he sold the house out” but never actually did anything.
— Cody said his contract with Ring of Honor was actually up a full two months before the Young Bucks, because he didn’t actually read the contract carefully, but he did a handshake agreement to stay on and hang out with his friends.
— There is “A LOT OF PYRO” at the MGM Grand right now.
— Nick said it’s a big difference that they’re not working with ROH and NJPW this time around. Everything is their vision this time, but it’s been so totally different, going down to the little things like having to figure out music licensing for entrances.
— Matt told a story about how Tony promised they would eventually get professional wrestling back on TNT, and him not believing him. Once it became a thing he called it the hardest secret he’s ever had to keep, to the point where he wanted to blurt it out to random strangers on the street.
— Cody Rhodes: “WWE’s television deal in the United Kingdom sucks compared to ours, and we haven’t had a single show!”
— On Double or Nothing, Cody says he’s most excited to get to watch his brother Dustin perform in front of the AEW fanbase. He said his relationship with his brother isn’t like the Young Bucks. There’s a lot of love, but a lot of issues. Cody didn’t want to face Dustin at WrestleMania, because he wanted to move on. There’s been a distance between them, but there’s only two of them left now and he’s glad people will get to see them work.
— Cody praised Kylie Rae and said she really is authentic, not playing a character. Said she isn’t a fake “inflatable arm-flailing tube-man” which of course got some buzz from the crowd.
— Cody jokes that he might have accidentally booked too many people for the Casino Battle Royale, but he’s sure they can find something to do with whoever it is. He also said he “didn’t do shit” for this battle royal this time around except book a few talents.
— Cody on going out to meet every single one of the fans because that’s the way wrestling used to be: “The barricade is there, but at no point was it supposed to be a wall. We’re supposed to be a f—ing family, man!”
— Nick was joking about how Shawn Spears revealed his battle royal placement card on Twitter, which he wasn’t supposed to do. Cody joked about there being too many rules and said “I booked 22 people for this 21 person match!” and hilariously said he “checked out” on the rules a long time ago.
— Nick said that Tony came to them and told them to pick all their favorite referees they’ve ever had, and now they have an incredible team of referee. Cody praises head official Paul Turner, saying that Paul has the say over which referees to get call which matches at Double or Nothing.
— QUESTION: Let’s talk about title belts!
- Nick: “Just watch the WWE product. Titles don’t mean anything. We want to put prestige back into wrestling. We’re not gonna have a 24/7 belt. If it’s the women, that can be a main event. If it’s a tag team, that can be a main event.”
- Cody: “I love Mick Foley. He’s a living legend… But what the f— was he up there holding!? No thought was put into that thing. No thought.”
- Matt: “I saw a draft of that title and I almost threw up.”
- Cody: “I really felt bad for Mick. You gotta know in your soul, this isn’t good.”
- Cody: “Should we say something good about them? Is Randy still working? I love Randy Orton.”
— QUESTION: Will AEW be a touring brand?
- Nick: “We are going to be touring all over the world!”
— QUESTION: Will the AEW partnership hinder potential business with NJPW?
- Cody said they want to be friends with everyone. Old heat and rivalries don’t matter to them.
- Nick said they had negotiations with ROH and NJPW right before they announced the company. They really are willing to work with everyone.
— Cody Rhodes said they got the “bears” back. He told a story about a creative pitch he came up where where Bernard and Bury would go away in the winter because… well, because they’re bears and they hibernate. But then in the spring they would could back and have little bear suits, and they would fly, and there would be a whole collection of bears. “Needless to say Ring of Honor did not love the pitch.”
— QUESTION: Will CM Punk ever be in AEW?
- Nick thinks CM Punk is done with wrestling for good.
- Cody says wrestling fans never gave up on him. The door will always remain open for him.
— QUESTION: How will you reach the casual fan?
- Cody: “Each and everyone one of you. It’s not about capturing the fan that wants the Attitude Era to return, it’s about pleasing the fans that we have now,” so they go out and generate more fans.
The post “An Evening With Cody & The Bucks”: Live Coverage From Starrcast appeared first on ProWrestling.com.