|Mox may not have been everyone’s number one, but he made a mark
Photo Credit: NJPW1972.com
Welcome to a feature I like to call “Best in the World” rankings. They’re not traditional power rankings per se, but they’re rankings to see who is really the best in the world, a term bandied about like it’s bottled water or something else really common. They’re rankings decided by me, and don’t you dare call them arbitrary lest I smack the taste out of your mouth. Without further ado, here’s this week’s list:
1. Jon Moxley (Last Week: Not Ranked) – Moxley finished first in the TWB 100 despite only receiving one first place vote. Why? Because he was on the most ballots. Even if people didn’t think he was the best wrestler last year, he energized enough people that they rushed to put him on their ballots. Contrast that with Will Ospreay, who got the most first place votes and didn’t crack the top 30. Polarization and consistency can be weird things sometimes.
2. Katharine Johnson (Last Week: Not Ranked) – If you recognize the name, it’s because she and her colleagues’ exploits doing the calculations that sent astronauts to the moon were depicted in the film Hidden Figures. Johnson passed away at age 101 today, proving that sometimes, the best of humanity don’t die young.
3. Maki Itoh (Last Week: 2) – It’s funny that she learned the word “pay pig” this past week when that’s what she did to Brad Shepard a few months ago.
4. Manabu Nakanishi (Last Week: Not Ranked) – The former rugby star-turned-IWGP Heavyweight Champion retired this past weekend. It’s hard not to feel a pang of sadness when one of the biggest bois in wrestling has to retire, but I will be thankful for the hoss feats he gave to wrestling.
5. Orange Cassidy (Last Week: 3) – Sure, why not.
6. Chicken Parm (Last Week: Not Ranked) OFFICIAL HOLZERMAN HUNGERS SPONSORED ENTRY – Amanda and I had two catered events this weekend, both having chicken parm. It’s the quintessential Italian party dish, or at least in a tie with baked ziti. When it’s bad, it’s baaaaaad, but when it’s good, it’s worth going back for seconds and thirds. I am pleased to report that both takes on it this past weekend were…. good.
7. Travis Konecny (Last Week: Not Ranked) – TK currently stands at two goals and four assists during the Flyers’ current three-game win streak. The Flyers may make the playoffs this year and win a series depending on the draw. They haven’t won a series in almost a decade. It’s time, baby. It’s time.
8. Hiroshi Tanahashi (Last Week: Not Ranked) – In the latest round of hot potato with the IWGP Tag Team Championships, Tanahashi dragged Kota Ibushi’s limp body to a title win over the Guerrillas of Destiny. Ibushi, I might add, missed the entire New Beginnings America tour with a mystery illness. Did he suffer about of coronavirus? If so, that makes The Ace’s effort this past weekend all the more impressive.
9. Nyla Rose (Last Week: 9) – That promo she cut Wednesday? Yeah, I want her to be my hypewoman. Just announcing me to all my haters by telling them that they’ll be crushed under both my and her heels. My enemies would cower in fear.
10. Tony Schiavone (Last Week: 10) – Well wrestling fans, we’re less than a week away from Revolution. You know what I’m looking forward to? Another Chicago hot dog. You know, my wife once told me I was hu…. well look at the time! We’ll be back next week for The Best in the World Rankings!